Pope Francis asks for prayers for 'Yolanda' victims
The online news portal of TV5
MANILA -- Pope Francis asked for prayers for the victims of typhoon Yolanda in the Philippines.
âI ask all of you to join me in prayer for the victims of typhoon 'Haiyan' (locally known as 'Yolanda') especially those in the beloved islands of the Philippines,â said the Pontiff in his Twitter account, @Pontifex on Saturday.
On Friday, super typhoon Yolanda battered the Visayas, leaving hundreds of people dead and injuring many others.
On the other hand, the Caritas Manila is asking the public for donations to help the victims of the storm, which is said to be the most powerful storm in recorded history.
âLet us share what we can to help Yolanda victims, give relief goods to Caritas Manila Damayan,â said Fr. Anton Pascual, Caritas Manila, executive director.
The social action arm of the Archdiocese of Manila explained that cash donations are used to buy contents for the family emergency relief pack, materials, and medicines for first-aid kits.
Aside from cash, Caritas Manila is also appealing for in-kind donations such as canned goods, beddings, linens, personal care and hygiene products, cleaning materials, among others.
Donors may bring their donations to Caritas Manila office at 2002 Jesus St. Pandacan, Manila; Radyo Veritas in West Avenue-Edsa Quezon City; or the nearest parish.
Cash donations may be deposited at Caritas Manila Inc. Peso Bank Accounts BPI #3063-5357-01, BDO #5600-45905, Unionbank #00-030-001227-5, PNB 10-856-660001-7, Metrobank 175-3-17506954-3.Â
- Dry spell hits 4,000 hectares of irrigated ricelands in Bicol - NIA 8 hours from now
- Japan's Epson to build biggest factory in Philippines 7 hours from now
- Thousands march against Monsanto, GM crops in more than 400 cities in at least 40 countries 7 hours from now
- DOE-Central Visayas halts operation of small-scale coal mine in Cebu City for lack of permit 7 hours from now
- Man, mother killed, 2 other relatives in serious condition in Sorsogon hit-and-run 6 hours from now
- Authorities alarmed over NPA use of child soldiers in Eastern Mindanao 6 hours from now
- Dry season to last until 2nd week of June -- PAGASA 6 hours from now
- Drug-crazed man sets sisters' houses on fire over land inheritance dispute 5 hours from now
- Thousands rejoice as El Salvador's archbishop of the poor Romero beatified 5 hours from now
- 5.7-magnitude quake hits off Papua New Guinea - USGS 4 hours from now
- REFLECTION | Jesus Breathes the Holy Spirit: ‘Peace be with you’ 4 hours from now
- 4 Cebu towns experiencing dry spell now under state of calamity 4 hours from now
- Uber drivers fined in Hungary 8 minutes from now
- German Alps hotel fire kills at least five 12 minutes ago
- Libyans arrest 600 Europe-bound illegal migrants 27 minutes ago