Pope Francis asks for prayers for 'Yolanda' victims
The online news portal of TV5
MANILA -- Pope Francis asked for prayers for the victims of typhoon Yolanda in the Philippines.
“I ask all of you to join me in prayer for the victims of typhoon 'Haiyan' (locally known as 'Yolanda') especially those in the beloved islands of the Philippines,” said the Pontiff in his Twitter account, @Pontifex on Saturday.
On Friday, super typhoon Yolanda battered the Visayas, leaving hundreds of people dead and injuring many others.
On the other hand, the Caritas Manila is asking the public for donations to help the victims of the storm, which is said to be the most powerful storm in recorded history.
“Let us share what we can to help Yolanda victims, give relief goods to Caritas Manila Damayan,” said Fr. Anton Pascual, Caritas Manila, executive director.
The social action arm of the Archdiocese of Manila explained that cash donations are used to buy contents for the family emergency relief pack, materials, and medicines for first-aid kits.
Aside from cash, Caritas Manila is also appealing for in-kind donations such as canned goods, beddings, linens, personal care and hygiene products, cleaning materials, among others.
Donors may bring their donations to Caritas Manila office at 2002 Jesus St. Pandacan, Manila; Radyo Veritas in West Avenue-Edsa Quezon City; or the nearest parish.
Cash donations may be deposited at Caritas Manila Inc. Peso Bank Accounts BPI #3063-5357-01, BDO #5600-45905, Unionbank #00-030-001227-5, PNB 10-856-660001-7, Metrobank 175-3-17506954-3.
- 'Back in the game' Putin marks 63rd birthday with eye on Syria, hockey exploits 5 hours from now
- WHO hails first full week with no new Ebola cases since March 2014 4 hours from now
- Palace agrees with VP bet Leni Robredo on need for tax reform 4 hours from now
- Marcos has distinct advantage over all VP candidates, says Enrile 3 hours from now
- Merkel declares EU asylum rules 'obsolete' as navies tackle people smugglers 2 hours from now
- ‘HULING HIRIT’ REGISTRATION | Comelec to extend daily operations to 12 hours from Oct. 17-31 2 hours from now
- COCKTALES | Of Joker Arroyo, Tio Pepe and Sarah Vaughan's 'burlesque' song 1 hour from now
- Iran's supreme leader bans negotiations with the United States 52 minutes from now
- SITG: Not enough evidence to link 2 arrested persons to Samal abduction 27 minutes from now
- Meralco cuts power rates by P0.13/kWh this October 14 minutes ago
- Former Italian priest abducted in Dipolog City 35 minutes ago
- Peso appreciates vs US dollar on higher expectations for Fed rate delay 1 hour ago
- Syrian army and Russian jets target rebels in western Syria 1 hour ago
- Donald Trump is a 'master brander': Bill Clinton 2 hours ago
- DNA research deployed in war on cancer scoops Nobel prize 2 hours ago